Sunday, October 19, 2008

First Impressions

Which should always be taken with a little salt. Especially from people who think they know lots of things. Like yours truly. I’ve been here exactly two weeks. So, what the hell do I know? I’m so glad you asked.

South Koreans love coffee. (or, I should say, espresso, 'cause you don't really find drip coffee here anywhere) I frequent a bagel/coffee joint across the street from work and next door is another coffee shop which is directly across the street from a Starbucks. Turn right at the light and you pass three more shops (at least) before the end of the block.

They also love fried bread. Fried everything. On every corner, there is at least one (sometimes three or four) deep fryer on wheels. The craziest product I have witnessed from one of these vendors was...well, I’ll let the picture I took of them speak for me.

That’s right. You are seeing a hotdog covered in french fries, all on a stick. I was struck speechless at the sight. This is in Dongdaemun. There’s an enormous flea market here. (Incidentally, this picture is illegal. The vendor waved my camera away, insisting on no pictures, but it was too late. If teaching English doesn’t work out, perhaps I’ll become an international spy.)

On the weekends, the subways are filled with middle aged women in hiking boots and backpacks. Filled.

One of these days I may just follow them to see where it is they go.

There is an interesting energy to this place. I’m finding the Korean approach to everything to be one of precision. Even down to the way the servers at restaurants tie a bag of take out food. In general, I find there not to be a sense of hurry driving anything here. Which is not to say things move slowly, just with less frantic energy behind them.
That being said, there is also a characteristic pushiness here. Just without the attitude I’m used to in a city this size. It’s as if it’s nothing personal. I genuinely think the several people who have literally pushed me out of the way on the street or in the subway would be surprised if I expressed offense. They’re not trying to make a point (which is what a New Yorker would be doing), they just want to get by.

Koreans are also an affectionate group. I see friends holding hands and arms all the time. Even men. Even grown men. I am touched and refreshed at the sight.

I’ll close with a few pictures of some new friends.

Zac (from North Carolina) and Donny (from Nova Scotia). The other foreign teachers at my school. This is in Nowon. Lots of westerners in this area and, therefore, they have lots of things westerners enjoy. Like guns. Don't worry. They are aiming at balloons. And I don't think they hit any of those.


Michelle, Christine, Me, Kelly, Alejandro, Cindy.
I really blend in here. The women are the Korean teachers at my school. As you might have guessed, these are their English names.

Korea's first impressions of me? Well, Christine told me I look like Cameron Diaz and Kelly thinks I look like Kirsten Dunst. I laughed heartily at these compliments. I couldn't help it. And it really makes me wonder: do all white people look alike?

4 comments:

Kari Sanchez said...

Ok the corn dog and french fries actually looked really good! I'm loving these blogs and reading about your journey in this country. I'm curious now where the women on the subway are going, you will have to follow them one day, just put on your boots and ask if you can join, ha. I'm glad things are going well. Thank you for sharing your stories.

Debralea said...

Sarah, you write so well, I can't wait to read more! And you know, I never noticed before someone else mentioned it, but I can see Kirsten Dunst...

Rebecca said...

I can't wait to hear more stories about your experience. It sounds like you are really embracing it!

I had no idea that they liked so much fried food and coffee. I always think of them as "healthier" people. I hope everything works out with your school merge.

Brooke said...

I can totally see the Kirsten Dunst! And I am going to search for a recipe on the hot dog covered in french fries and figure out how to make that work. Glad you got a picture of that before they caught you.
Sounds like you have had an eventful time there already. But it sounds like things are working out for the best.
I enjoy reading your posts. Best of luck with your new job!!!!